This medal is an example of many produced for the official opening of the University of Birmingham in 1909 by King Edward VII and Queen Alexandra. The medallion itself is roughly a little larger than a fifty pence piece and shows a raised image of both King and Queen with an inscription surrounding. The pin which attaches the medal to clothing is capped with a bronze crown which attaches itself to the medallion via a ribbon marked ‘E.R.’ (Edwardvs Rex).
Created: c. 1909
ID Number: BIRRC-H0012a
Institution: Research and Cultural Collections
Named Collection: University Heritage Collection
Object Type: Medal
Measurements: 9.5 cm in length